Saturday, July 02, 2005

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The Good: Tonight my parents and I went out to dinner for my mom's birthday at one of our favorite restaurants called Watel's. It's this little intimate French restaurant in an old house near Allen and Thomas in Uptown. I had the crab and vegetable lasagna and we all split a creme brulee. It was delicious! Ironically enough, the couple at the table next to us was talking about the time they spent in Peru and Cuzco. I just can't escape it! I get it, I'm supposed to be there right now! ;)

The Bad: Work today was definitely tiring. My playroom was so busy and hectic and all the nurses and doctors seemed to be in a bad mood. Kids IV's were beeping all over the place and nurses seemed to be very inpatient and rude when I called the station to let them know. I was just doing my job, people, now do yours!

The Ugly: Well, I got another e-mail from Wes in Ecuador. It was absolutely sickening and depressing. Turns out that matters have gotten much, much worse. The cruel lawyers have somehow managed to get "statements" from the boys and Wes found out that he had 24 hours before a block would be placed on his leaving the country. Fifteen minutes after finding this out, Wes was out the door with clothes, medicines and quick goodbyes from the boys that still remained in the house. He fled Ecuador and has flown back to the states. To rely on a cliche, I really don't understand how bad things can happen to good people. Wes gave up his home, his career, his money, his whole life and moved to Ecuador to build a home from scratch for disadvantaged boys and here the Ecuadorian government has charged him with hellacious and rediculously fraudulant charges. He will most likely never get to return to the home he built in Ecuador, nor see the boys every again. Part of me is relieved that Brenda (his deceased wife) did not live to see this dream fall apart, but I also feel incredily bad for Wes to have to suffer this alone. I guess "El Dulce Refugio" no longer means "The Sweet Refuge." I have lost my faith in the beauty of Ecuador.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home